A website’s position on a Google search has a massive effect on that business’s success or failure. With this in mind, it’s important to employ SEO tactics if you want your site to perform well online. This SEO blueprint will give you a comprehensive run-down of everything you need to do to make your website stand out online.
Google search result stats:
95% of search traffic for the first page.
33% of search traffic goes to the top result
Websites & Webpages:
- Google searches present the most relevant webpages, NOT the most relevant websites.
- Build authority for individual webpages.
- The pages that you want to rank for need priority for SEO.
Coup SEO Starter Package
Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Sitemap Submission, Google+ Account Creation, Google Places, SEO Plugin for WordPress
Our SEO process begins once we have connected you with the necessary tools you need to collate/analyse your data as well as assisting you with the SEO process.
- The goal is to find keywords that have good volume but aren’t too competitive.
- Create a Google Adwords account and use the Google Keyword planner, as well as Google Analytics to do this research.
3 Types of Keywords:
Head Keywords: 1 word phrases. *low priority.
- High search volume and competition.
- Low probability of conversion.
- Low probability to rank.
Body Keywords: 2-3 word phrases *priority.
- Lower search volume and competition than head keywords.
- Medium level of conversion.
Long tail Keywords: Description phrases *priority
- Make up 60-70% of searches.
- Much lower competition.
Target lower competition body and long tail keywords!
- Target less competitive body and long tail keywords.
- Either as a single term or
- Build a portfolio of keywords.
Rank for 5 or 10 individual keywords.
The volume for each keyword could be small but as a whole will be strong.
- Keyword rich.
- Use hyphens.
- E.g. for 123 home insurance.
Title Tag and Meta Description:
- Most important ‘On Page’ SEO factor.
- Front load your keyword in the title tag.
Keyword should be the first thing in the tag.
- Keep it 55 characters or under.
55 characters prevents the tag being cut off from view on the Google search page.
- Have a Different Title Tag for every page.
Specifically the ones you want to rank for.
Tailor each title tag to the most important on-page factor.
- Include a call to action/action-orientated language.
E.g. for home insurance.
- “protect your home for 123 home insurance.”
- Learn, discover, get, etc.
- Offer a solution to the problem the person is searching for.
E.g. for home insurance.
- “See how you can save on home insurance.”
- Keep it 155 characters or under so it doesn’t get cut off.
- Use synonyms for your main keyword in the meta description to keep it looking natural and not ‘spammy’.
*WordPress add-on for writing Title Tags and Meta description: WordPress SEO by Yoast.
- The more relevant websites that link to your site or page, the higher you will rank in searches.
- Focus on quality links not quantity.
Types links that matter:
- Links from webpages that are relevant to your niche.
- Links from ranking webpages.
- Links with effective anchor text.
- Don’t have every singular keyword as a backlink, mix it up between the different keywords or synonyms for the keywords.
- Consistent backlinks.
How to get links: Earn Naturally. Link building is a byproduct of building something genuinely worth linking to. The product, service, content, or opinions being shared with industry peers. This is called an editorial link. A one-way link placed within a body of content that is given naturally by other websites to specify a resource.
- It’s a form of citation on the web and generally indicates that the destination of the link is the original source of the produced data, idea, concept or statement.
- Manual Outreach.
Emailing bloggers/webmasters for links. Best used as a supporting activity for quality content, by drawing attention to the content and maximising the links for content campaigns. Creates a value proposition by explaining to the link target why creating the link is in their best interest.
Making your website visible in the highly competitive online environment can be difficult. If you follow the suggestions on this guide then you will have a fundamental understanding of how SEO works and be able to employ these techniques for the benefit of your business.